Goal Pad Designer Pete Smith Interview Podcast

[wpfblike]

Goalie Pad Designer pete smith at work

Recently I had the great pleasure of speaking with Pete Smith about his career as a goal pad designer, and about his business today. One of the best known designers in the business, Pete is responsible for much of the innovation in today’s equipment made by all major brands.

[powerpress]

In our discussion he talks about:

• His experience in the industry – which began with his first professional job while still in high school
  • His design process from work developing the Vaughn Velocity Pad, to new innovations today
  • Why he doesn’t work with NHL goalies today
  • The importance of the internet and customer service to his business
  • NHL regulations on equipment being a disadvantage to smaller goalies
  • and much, much more.

Pete is a great guy with a solid reputation in the business. If you’re looking to upgrade your gear I would encourage you to drop by his site and have a look, or better yet give Pete a call, I know he’d be happy to help. And when you do, tell him you heard the interview here!

Smith Hockey – http://www.smithhockey.com/

or contact Pete directly:

Phone (585) 637- 8660

E-mail [email protected]

David Hutchison

David is one of the founders of InGoal Magazine which he began in 2009. Of course he finds time for some goaltending of his own as well, and despite his age, clings desperately to the idea that some NHL team will call him to play for them - though in his mid-forties (OK, late 40s) it'll likely be for a practice when everyone else on their depth chart has the flu and the shooter tutor has gone in for repairs.

1. Richard St-Onge

YES!! My name and question was used in the podcast!!! I’M A STARRRRRR!!!! LOLOL!!!

Nice work, seriously! You definitaly got that Sports Radio Voice and Pete is a POOL of cool information and insight! Thx, i enjoyed listening to every second of it!

Rich from Gatineau, Québec 🙂

2. Craig h

Great listen. As happy as I am with everything about my Smith gear I am equally happy in knowing my gear is made from someone I respect, both as a craftsman and business man.

Craig

3. Tom DeNapoli

HEY

Nice web site and you look marvoluos!

TD

4. JR

Thanks for this interview. I own Smith pads and his customer service is great and his product is A1!
    This makes me proud to wear Smith!

5. Red

I have a set of Smith pads and LOVE THEM. Pete has the best customer service and is very responsive. If you don’t mind a little wait, you’ll find that the price (for _custom_ gear) is cheaper than the big boys, and the quality is superb. I’ve played >500 games in my Smith pads and haven’t popped a single stitch! Anytime I wear out a component, I can just call Pete up and he’ll ship you out replacements in a heartbeat.

I’m definitely one of those satisfied customers that took a risk with a small company and am extremely impressed with the quality of the product! My next set of pads (if these ever wear out) will be Smith for sure!

6. mike

the vaughn velocity pads he designed are completely amazing…

7. CSGoal

Pete is a visionary, and a very down to earth guy. I would highly suggest to anyone to email him and ask for demo equipment. The small guys need all the help they can get from buyers, and can guarantee a pro level product that is everything you want. Worth looking into for anyone.

8. Ken

Great listen – I know where I’ll be going for my next set of pads after checking out his website!

9. Shayne

Pete’s stuff is great….and those are my pads pictured above in the blue and white!

10. Gregan

Ordered my first set of gear from Pete and just received it a couple of weeks ago. I’m loving it, amazing gear, amazing craftsmanship, amazing performance.

I’m proud to be wearing gear from one of the main innovators in the business.

• David Hutchison

Thanks Gregan – glad you like Pete’s gear – great guy and great product. He sure has a very loyal following!

11. RonJon

Three years of D-1 varsity hockey, time for a new set of Smitties. The pads are still fine, but the kid finally GREW! He loved them, and even though I bought the pair (new) off ebay- Pete still answered my questions and gave me the confidence to buy them- he remembered BUILDING this particular set (the original owner got impatient and bought Vaughns while he waited for pete to make his pads- then stayed with the Vaughs) and told me how to measure my son to make sure of the fit before I bid. I knew then that if the pads were any good, we would be buying our next pair directly from Pete! They were…and we are!

12. Dixie Longate

I once saw pete smith at a bar in brockport, ny. He was hitting on women and telling off-colour jokes.

I would not trust him to make me a goalie pad

13. Megan Smith

Pete is my uncle. He rocks, like you all said. In hockey, and in general.

14. Keith McDonald

I bought a pair of 3000’s a few years ago (back in the 12″ wide days). They’re in great shape, still using them.

15. East Islip hockey star

I used to play hockey against Pete. Always beat him high glove side. LOL

Glad to see him doing well these days. Great guy.