Ryan Miller’s New Mask – Interview with Artist Ray Bishop

Ryan Miller’s New Mask – Interview with Artist Ray Bishop

Japanese Tattoo Theme a Collaboration Between Artist and Athlete

If you came here looking for Ryan’s Olympic Mask – another great Bishop creation – we have it here!

Ryan Miller’s new mask was unveiled last night and it has created a lot of interest in the design already. I had a chance to speak at length today with artist Ray Bishop who did the artwork – very much in conjunction with Ryan himself.

“Ryan is a pretty fair artist himself…he’s creative, he’s artistic, he can draw…he’s really the only goalie at the professional level I have worked with that has sent me sketches.”

Ryan Millers New Mask by Bishop Designsmiller2

[powerpress]

In the interview Ray talks about:

1. Ryan as an artist being very involved in the design, more than other pros.
  2. How the design came together and a few of the specific aspects of the design.
  3. Hidden meanings in the mask.
  4. The choice of colours not exactly mimicking the uniform.
  5. How the design might evolve in the future.
  6. Ray’s favorite designs – this one “ranks up there” but mentions several others.
  7. Ray’s other work on motorcycles and gitaurs and drums (for Canadian Band Theory of a Dead Man)
  8. Where the design concept came from for Ryan.

A huge thanks from inGoal Magazine to Ray for taking some time with us today – to learn more about Ray Bishop and his work visit the Bishop Custom Designs web site.

All of Ryan’s masks are built by Gary Warwick of Warwick Designs. You might like to visit their site, or listen to our interview with Gary.

For more on Ryan Miller, please visit his web site.

Also, please take a few minutes to check out the great work that Ryan does with his Steadfast Foundation. “Dedicated to serving children & families touched by cancer.”

For more on Miller’s Mask check out his story at the Goalie Guild.

If you liked this interview why not check out the interview with the author of the Martin Brodeur biography – leave a comment there for a chance to win one of five free books.

David Hutchison

David is one of the founders of InGoal Magazine which he began in 2009. Of course he finds time for some goaltending of his own as well, and despite his age, clings desperately to the idea that some NHL team will call him to play for them - though in his mid-forties (OK, late 40s) it'll likely be for a practice when everyone else on their depth chart has the flu and the shooter tutor has gone in for repairs.

1. yourfriendandy

It looks interesting.

Not sure what it has to do with the Sabres though…

-Andy

2. Caroline

I like it. The Japanese tattoo art and the Sailor Jerry inspirations are neat. And as for it not having much to do with the Sabres, I don’t think a goalie’s mask always has to be directly related to the team that he plays for. It gives fans a more personal look into the player…makes the mask a little more unique.

3. Justin

Dave great job as always! Personally I love the shades of blue and gold … they compliment each other perfectly. The waves look great and the green eyes for the Tiger and Dragon are different to say the least.

4. Mike

miller is my favorite goalie and his last mask was pretty sick but this one has more pop to it in the design. the sabretooth tiger is nuts but i dont know about the dragon. this mask may take some time to get used to. but above all 9/10 on the mask its nuts

5. Ryan

miller is one of my favorite goalies and this mask design is pretty sick its different from his old goalie mask which was cool too

• David Hutchison

Yes, I think is old one was one of the best – I hope it stays in circulation.

6. Paul Perkins

I guess it looks “cool” but it clashes way to much with the uniform and IMHO just doesn’t work for Ryan … try again … please … this one just does not work for you.

7. Janet

Absolutely awesome looking mask. A great job by the Bishop. WTG Miller. I love it.

8. Scotty

I just won a new Warwick mask and paint job by Bishop from Ryan Miller and can’t wait to start working with him.

9. Jill

The mask, as Miller has described it, has some personal meaning behind it. Whether it clashes with his sweater or not I don’t think it really matters. It’s all about what mentally makes him feel he can perform on a night to night basis. If what is on his mask inspires him then I am all for it.

The mask rocks in my personal opinion. I think it’s pretty great that he provided drawings and a lot of input to what the mask has on it.

Congrats to Scotty the mask winner!

10. Greg

Train Wreck…Team Sport Team Mask

11. Ben J

Not sure I like that one. His Bison mask was the best.

12. Ben J

This mask just has nothing to do with the team. I find it kind of boring.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Sabre Tactics: Despite 5-1 Victory Over Carolina, Buffalo Misses Out on the Playoffs « Mint Condition Publishing - [...] already about Ryan Miller’s new mask. It looks cool, sure, but it has nothing to do with the Sabres…
  2. Sabre Tactics: Despite 5-1 Victory Over Carolina, Buffalo Misses Playoffs | Biased Sports - [...] already about Ryan Miller’s new mask. It looks cool, sure, but it has nothing to do with the Sabres (Personally,…