Japanese Tattoo Theme a Collaboration Between Artist and Athlete
Ryan Miller’s new mask was unveiled last night and it has created a lot of interest in the design already. I had a chance to speak at length today with artist Ray Bishop who did the artwork – very much in conjunction with Ryan himself.
“Ryan is a pretty fair artist himself…he’s creative, he’s artistic, he can draw…he’s really the only goalie at the professional level I have worked with that has sent me sketches.”
In the interview Ray talks about:
- Ryan as an artist being very involved in the design, more than other pros.
- How the design came together and a few of the specific aspects of the design.
- Hidden meanings in the mask.
- The choice of colours not exactly mimicking the uniform.
- How the design might evolve in the future.
- Ray’s favorite designs – this one “ranks up there” but mentions several others.
- Ray’s other work on motorcycles and gitaurs and drums (for Canadian Band Theory of a Dead Man)
- Where the design concept came from for Ryan.
A huge thanks from inGoal Magazine to Ray for taking some time with us today – to learn more about Ray Bishop and his work visit the Bishop Custom Designs web site.
For more on Ryan Miller, please visit his web site.
Also, please take a few minutes to check out the great work that Ryan does with his Steadfast Foundation. “Dedicated to serving children & families touched by cancer.”
For more on Miller’s Mask check out his story at the Goalie Guild.
If you liked this interview why not check out the interview with the author of the Martin Brodeur biography – leave a comment there for a chance to win one of five free books.