Antti Niemi San Jose Sharks Mask by David Arrigo photo by Ken DeNardo

Ken DeNardo photo

Antti Niemi San Jose Sharks Mask by David Arrigo photo by Ken DeNardo

Ken DeNardo photo

After touring David Arrigo’s studio recently (more on that later) he kindly sent me images of Anttii Niemi’s new San Jose Sharks mask. He said that Anttii wanted to keep the “tribal flame” idea that had been the basis of his Hawks lid, but obviously incorporated all kinds of Sharks imagery.

What do you think? I think it’s one of David’s best. I’m not sure why Niemi would want to keep the tribal theme which so obviously fits the Hawks – but he’s the client and it looks pretty cool, so why not? David will be checking in, so leave him a comment here - and of course be sure to visit his web site.

Anttii Niemi San Jose Sharks goalie mask

images copyright David Arrigo, all rights reserved

Anttii Niemi San Jose Sharks goalie mask

Anttii Niemi San Jose Sharks goalie mask

Anttii Niemi San Jose Sharks goalie mask

17 Responses to Anttii Niemi’s 2010-2011 San Jose Sharks Mask

1. ShogiBear says:

I love it! The teeth around the face are a nice touch. After growing so attached to Niemi during the playoffs, it is going to be hard watching him as a Shark.

2. Carol says:

I like the teeth also. But I don’t quite get the squiggles on the side. Does anyone know if they are supposed to represent something? Or are they just squiggles?

3. Carol says:

Shoot…sorry, I just realized you told me that the squiggles are a tribal flame. Right? I guess I didn’t pay enough attention to his Hawks mask to realize it was on there too…still looks odd to me. You can delete my other comment if you’d like…I didn’t see where I could do that.

4. Jim says:

The cheek area looks like a ‘bite’ of a Canucks logo. Nice work though, but I don’t think it is that special.

5. Terry Jarkowsky says:

Great paintjob on the mask, very original, well thought out & it catches the eye, it has some hidden things to look for which is cool, but not overdone. Nice balance between simple & complex. Love it!!

6. Gabe says:

It looks terrible, in my humble opinion. Not the artist’s fault, and there definately are some great elements in there but the flame DOES NOT fit at all.

7. Jason Power says:

Gotta go with Jim on this one…

Love the mask…but would fit the Canucks so much better. NOT That I want to see Niemi in Vancouver, but the mask fits the motif better.

I do dig the subtle Haywood reference on the paint job!

8. Potvin's Cups says:

I thought the flames were supposed to be seaweed at first…not a huge fan of this mask.

9. Potvin's Cups says:

10. Kris says:

I’m not a fan of the mask at all, BUT I will say I like ti better than his Hawks mask

11. Kris says:

it that is……I like IT better

12. Keith says:

I like the mask. The tribal flames are a little odd, but the artist makes it work with the other imagery. I wish Antti was still in Chicage, but I’m glad the Sharks picked him up.

13. nick says:

YEAH!!!!! WE GET ANTTI!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!! GO SHARKS!!!!!! BIGGEST PICKUP EVER!!!!!!

14. Kainoa says:

Don’t understand the flames… does not fit the Sharks motif… someone mentioned seaweed.
    Still find myself looking for the skeleton creature on Nabby’s mask.

15. Yoshi says:

I wish he had gone with the original “Hayward shark head” and updated it, and I’ve never liked the Orange in the Sharks jerseys, but I have to say it’s better than any of Nabokov’s masks.

16. Big Rob says:

I think sharks will win the stanley cup this year. 2011 is the year of the sharks. It was a really be thing that the sharks picked up Antti. I know the Sharks will win the Stanley cup next season also. I will always miss nabby one of the best in the west!!!!!!!!!!!!!!