Ilya Bryzgalov’s 2011-2012 Philadelphia Flyers Mask

Ilya Bryzgalov’s 2011-2012 Philadelphia Flyers Mask

Stephane Bergeron of La Griffe Originale has released his latest mask for new Flyers’ No. 1 Ilya Bryzgalov.

Bergeron has been painting for Bryz for years now and we always loved Bryzgalov’s Phoenix Coyotes’ mask, which was the only one to include artwork by a goalie’s own young children. While his kids didn’t make the cut this time, the design and detail work is fantastic on his new Flyers’ helmet. As for his choice of subject matter, much like the goaltender himself it is … well … interesting, to say the least, and proving to be a real conversation starter online.

Ilya Bryzgalov Philadelphia Flyers mask by Stephane Bergeron La Griffe

Knowing the always quotable Bryzgalov, whose past masks have included everything from Daffy Duck to a Christmas tree with present underneath, there’s a good  reason for using the gazing tiger. Bergeron told InGoal, “Well it’s Bryz’s idea. The tiger is the emblem of Russia, called the ‘Amur‘.”

Bergeron drew several versions for Bryz and this is the one he and, it turns out, Bergeron chose to use. Entirely painted by hand with the airbrush, the detail work is impressive, to say the least.

Bryzgalov Tiger Mask for Flyers by Stephane Bergeron - La Griffe

1. Why would they run the Bauer Logo across the Flyers Logo! A No No in my Book!

2. Not a fan. Should get his bucket done by Drummon Custom Air like boosh!!!

3. This is not his helmet, Drummond is doing his real helmet, many goalie have multiple artist do designs. I can assure you this is not his game helmet

4. Yeah, a little overkill with the tribal stripes.

Like a sinister version of the Lion King.

5. I really like it, but I agree with Flyers57 regarding the Bauer logo. It’s unfortunate, but likely the reality of sponsorship and marketing. I wonder if they wouldn’ve considered placing it elsewhere. ‘Ghosting’ Bauer in vertically on both sides back behind the ears might’ve looked cool.

6. While I don’t care for this, Drummond is terrible. No more masks that look like they were done on the boardwalk at the Jersey Shore.

7. NO!

8. one word COOOOOOOORNY!!!!!!!!

9. You can obviously see that this is NOT one of the drummond masks. As for DinkusMaximus, you must not have seen the work that I have seen come from the drummond shop, all I can say is jaw dropping, awesome as hell kind of work is what I have seen. If more Jersey shore boardwalk airbrush artists did work like his, airbrushing would be as big as it was in the 70’s & 80’s. This helmet looks like a stencil cut out of a craft book over a coloring book picture of a tiger, and WTF is up with the logos colliding?

10. It’s alright, I think the Tiger concept is a good idea, if done right. It’s does have a jersey shore-Ed Hardy vide to it though. And the “Bauer” over the logo is a little disrespectful. Someone above said this wasn’t Bryz’s real mask so I guess we’ll see. I’ve seen better, but I’ve definitely seen worse.

11. All the people hating on this helemt, lets see you do better. Whats that? You cant? then shut the fuck up.

12. I never said it was a Drummond mask. The huge Griffe logo is a clear sign it’s a Griffe Originale. I’m just not excited to see Drummond’s either. Drummond can do nice detailed work, but almost everything he does turns to mud more then 3 ft away. When he does stuff like the Boucher mask and the Leighton mask it looks great: thick bold designs to see from afar with high detail up close. Most of the time though he fails to make things pop off the mask and be clearly visible. The big mistake he makes is putting an outer glow on everything. That’s what makes things look like boardwalk cheese. The Sideshow Bob side of Bobrovsky’s mask is perfect example of this. Had he lost the glow and airbrushy lines this mask would have popped more and looked much nicer. Same thing with the Emery mask. It’s apparent he’s got skill, but not quite used to doing NHL masks that are crisp and clear from afar.

13. and Flair I can do better and have done better. I just don’t paint my masks anymore because my close friend is an NHL painter.

14. Wow, people, lets take a step back, Griffe, great job. Peeps, understand that allot of the time its the goalies visions and the artists are simply the messengers. At the end of the day, I know when completing masks with my guys there is only one critic that I strive to make happy, that’s the client. Whereas I sincerely invite all criticism and can take comments such as crap and undesirable lol, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and in each piece, there is something unique for the most part. OK negatories; sharpen your claws, I’m sure Pricer’s mask will raise a few comments as always!

• Thank you David for adding your comments! Folks – that’s an established NHL artist speaking who has been generous with his time and his artwork sharing with InGoal….and a classy. professional comment about one of his competitors.

15. Matt in Montreal. This is a Tiger, not a lion.

16. Reminds me of something that would be on the walls of an early 90s mobile home living room.

17. Thanks so much for stepping in, David. People get so nasty online. The facelessness (I know, not a real word) of the internet breeds such foul behavior. It’s one thing to make not-so-positive comments. Even critiques. But let’s be respectful. I don’t see the connection between the Flyers and a tiger myself, but if that’s what Bryz wanted, then so be it. It’s a gorgeous mask, for sure.

18. I think it’s a great helmet. The Bauer Logo over the Flyers logo is a must. They need to have that logo there, the only thing that might have made it better would be to move the flyers logo away instead. You guys are being way to harsh, Like Arrigo said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good job Dave.

19. David makes a great point, it’s bryz’s mask and if he likes it, that’s all that matters. I’ve worn masks before that I really thought were creative and different, but other people, even team-mates made derogatory comments about them. It’s goes with being a goalie and trying to showcase your own personality instead of just the teams logo in front of a brick wall like every other joe schmoe goaltender.

20. wtf-my favorite mask ever!-the stylized siberian tiger is awesome-compliments phillys colours perfectly-comes from bryzgalov’s homeland-the eyes look amazing-what a gorgeous f-ing thing!-bryz likes it and i love it!go bryzgalov!go flyers!!

21. Not sure how I feel about the Ed Hardy-esque design… as for Bryzgalov himself, I think I’m falling in love haha. I’m heartbroken Boucher is gone, but that comment about “lots of murder” vis a vis the Flyers/Rangers rivalry? Pure Broad Street Bullies. <3

22. Love the helmet. Just noticed it in a Flyer’s game, so yes, it is his game helmet. Very nicely done by the artist. I’ve always been a fan of Bryz’s helmets as they always turn out great.