Pekka Rinne’s Latest and Greatest Mask

Pekka Rinne’s Latest and Greatest Mask

Rinne Predators Goalie Mask Design Contest Winner

The master of mask art, Dave Gunnarsson of Daveart.com, sent along photos of Pekka Rinne’s latest, and our opinion, greatest mask based on a design by graphic design student Liz Guilyard. The mask was part of a Preds contest where fans could submit a design to be painted for Rinne and used in a game vs. the Detroit Red Wings.

What’s more, Liz, who is featured in the video below the pictures, will then get to take her game-worn mask home.

Here’s hoping Gunnarsson made a second copy because we’d love to see Rinne in this one for the remainder of the season.

This design takes Rinne’s regular “Hardcorelicious” mask to a new extreme – let us know your thought below in the comments!

Rinne Predators Goalie Mask Design Contest Winner

Rinne Predators Goalie Mask Design Contest Winner

David is one of the founders of InGoal Magazine which he began in 2009. Of course he finds time for some goaltending of his own as well, and despite his age, clings desperately to the idea that some NHL team will call him to play for them - though in his mid-forties (OK, late 40s) it'll likely be for a practice when everyone else on their depth chart has the flu and the shooter tutor has gone in for repairs.

1. Woah! Awesome mask! I love the continuity with Rinne.
    WAY better than the Carey Price’s contest winner…

2. Thanks to David Hutchinson for the article about Liz and her design for Pekka Rinne. I love the design – and not just because I’m her mother:) I would like to point out however, that “young Liz” isn’t quite as young as you think…she’s a 20 year-old Visual Communications student at O’More College of Design in Franklin, Tennessee. I have no doubt, she’d love to land an internship with Daveart one day!

• Oops sorry mom! But she’s still young compared to me 🙂

Fantastic work though just love it.

3. No worries David – we all had a good laugh about it:)

4. love it!

5. Great mask for an exceptional player! I can’t believe that Pekka Rinne hasn’t been named an NHL All-Star yet. Hopefully, he’ll be named the most valuable player this year!

6. Any chance on getting a look at the back plate? Peks got his 38th win tonight against Detroit, an MVP sounds great, but a Stanley Cup MVP sounds better!!

7. I was going to say…I saw the original design of this helmet during the contest and I’d have a hard time believing that an 11 year old designed this…ha! Absolutely amazing design/helmet.

8. seriousley i think this is the best and most amazing mask ive seen not too much going on and not to little, deftinatley PERFECT

9. If Liz ever wants to sell this mask I want to be the first to have a shot at it. A couple thousand is put aside just in case.

10. looks great!

11. I’d hit it.

12. She can use my mask as a canvas…

13. I’m actually having a hard time trying to design a mask that means a lot to me. I recently got over being VERY sick with Cancer and would like to design something that shows the down and up side of dealing with a life threatening illness. I am in the process of trying to buy a mask to have painted now.I actually wanted to have two masks made, then somehow ask players to autograph it and then raffle it off with all the money going to Make a Wish or St Jude’s Children’s Hospital or something to help families with sick kids.

Maybe you guys at InGoal Mag can help me make my dreams into a reality and help those that helped me while raising awareness and money to help with Cancer Research/Treatment.

14. hey NYGOALIE43!

if ingoal wants to get involved in the design of those masks i would sure love to be part of that cool project!

let me know