Calgary Flames Mikka Kiprusoff Pre-Game Skate

On Saturday the Calgary Flames graciously allowed us access to the pre-game skate before their game against the Edmonton Oilers. In the evening Kipper was solid in goal as the Flames hammered the Oilers 6-1. Little did we know it would be Phaneuf’s last game as a Flame.

Calgary Flames Goalie Mikka Kiprusoff

For more images from the session please visit our Flickr Stream

Video of Practice Session

We shot a bit of test video for another project that you may enjoy seeing. What I found most remarkable was how little dialog – they were obviously working through a well-rehearsed routine.

David Hutchison

David is one of the founders of InGoal Magazine which he began in 2009. Of course he finds time for some goaltending of his own as well, and despite his age, clings desperately to the idea that some NHL team will call him to play for them - though in his mid-forties (OK, late 40s) it'll likely be for a practice when everyone else on their depth chart has the flu and the shooter tutor has gone in for repairs.

1. Ben J

Love Kippers pads.

2. JR

Kipper is my favorite!

3. ShogiBear

I love that video, I wish my practices were like that. Mine usually turn into everyone taking turns on breakaways and it gets exhausting.

4. Andy

My son is ten years old and has really started to beat himself up about letting in goals. He is doing really well in his league and has got used to being a rock in the net, so when goals go in he thinks he shouldn’t have let them in. He hits the ice and posts with his stick. I tell him that he cant do it all and should not let it get to him but it falls on deaf ears coming from his dad. Are there any tips or words of advice you have for him.

5. burgherRaveen

Kiprusoff is amazing. Sadly, I’m not liking the bench coach. Guy looks like Putin and maybe coaches like that. Barking all day long…gets tiring. Just my opinion though…

LOL, Andy, I’ve seen men, 45 year old goalies loose it on each goal. And this, in a pick up game – not league game. The guy’s immature and the team don’t like playing for his side.

Your son needs to chill out – easy to say, but goals aren’t always the goalie’s fault. It Is a team effort. Where was defense, was a back door man covered etc.

I’d suggest your son think, ok, what would I do differently in that goal I let in. After he lets a goal in, do the move you think you could have made – right then and there. Is it a case of losing sight of the puck? Loss of focus because the game’s at the other end too much… there are many reasons a puck goes in, the goalie missing is only one of them.

Good luck to your young goalie!

Then move forwards – stopping 1 shot at a time.

6. Kris

It’s like he doesn’t even have to try lol

7. Brian

why does kipper move his catching hand 360 degrees when people take shots on him?