Training Advice for Parents of Young Goalies
young goalie development, which also might have been one of the first I ever wrote for InGoal Magazine. So those of you with a young goalie at home are probably going to be interested in this.One of my most referenced articles was on
I was asked by Stephane over at the Hockey Goalie Parents Facebook page to do a webinar, so we did a live question and answer session and luckily I remembered to push the “record” button this time.
There were a lot of good questions, including some I didn’t know the answer to.
- What type of training is good for pre-teen goalies?
- Is there an optimal age to start stretching, strengthening, conditioning
- My son is 10 and I worry about his hips and knees. Should I?
- My 12 year old is on the ice 4-5 days per week. When is it too much?
- How do you help your goalie deal with a coach who doesn’t understand the position?
- What should my PeeWee goalie be doing during off-ice time that is fun, but good conditioning?
- What are the best off-ice routines for 10 year-old goalies?
- And many, many more.
I figured some of you might have the same questions, so you can find my answers here.
Hockey strength and conditioning coach Maria Mountain, MSc specializes in off-ice training for hockey goalies. As the founder of www.GoalieTrainingPro.com and the owner of Revolution Sport Conditioning in London, Ontario, Maria has trained Olympic Gold medalists, a Stanley Cup Champ and athletes from MLB, NHL, AHL, CHL, CIS and more.
You can get a FREE 14-Day Flexibility program for goalies HERE!