Shot on Goal: Goalie Mask Photos-Tim Thomas, Boston Bruins

[wpfblike]
A couple of weeks ago our editor David Hutchison did a great comparison on Tim Thomas’ mask from last season to this season. Not being happy with the quality of the pictures, I decided to have another try at it this past week at the Bruins-Blues game. I think everyone will agree that these show the mask in better detail. Just click on the picture for a larger view.

Photo by Scott Slingsby

Photo by Scott Slingsby

1. Ken Devine

Do we know why he finally decided to switch to a more modern mask? Previously he said he didn’t like them because of the restricted breathing, which I understand.

2. paul szabo

Those of us old enough can remember the days when Don Beaupre and Mike Liut wore this type of cage. While it has the advantage of better protection from stick blade entry with the smaller holes, I am not sure what the advantage of splitting the wires down near the mouth area is. Just seems like the wire bend there is too busy without providing much of an advantage. The area right under the goalie’s nose is a critical one for vision, since there is always trouble to see the puck close to the body down low.

Anyhow, if this cage was made available I would buy one and change my cate eye…

By the way, does anyone know who made the custom dangler for Thomas

3. bamlinden

Thanks so much for posting these. I think Thomas’ new mask is one of the nicest ‘outside the box’ mask looks I have seen in a long while.

Great stuff.

4. Matt

Ken, the helmet he uses is basically the mage he used last year with a different cage. If you look though at the history of Thomas’ mage wearing you’ll see a radical advancement in the mage’s design. Personally I own a mage and the new one piece design, in comparison with older 2 piece designs, has pretty much the same sightlines. Like anything the mage design evolved with time to become safer and more effective. By the way I’ll admit the new cage is pretty cool. It also seems a lot lighter too because it doesn’t extend all the way to the chin.

5. Matt

Ken, the helmet he uses is basically the mage he used last year with a different cage. If you look though at the history of Thomas’ mage wearing you’ll see a radical advancement its design. Personally I own this type of helmet and the new one piece design, in comparison with older 2 piece designs, has pretty much the same sightlines. Like anything the mage design evolved with time to become safer and more effective. By the way I’ll admit the new cage is pretty cool. It also seems a lot lighter too because it doesn’t extend all the way to the chin.

6. J.D.

Have you guys noticed it seems boxier than other masks in the league? I got his cage as a replacement after my cat-eye gave me a black eye. I will personally say, I’ve worn it fifteen times, it’s been whacked nine times, and not one stick has penetrated it. I got it in chrome considering I have a black mask, but the white looked good, too. Has anybody else noticed the increase of chrome cages? Cristobal Huet, Marty Turco, Semyon Varlamov, Evgeni Nabokov, Antero Nittymaki, and countless others all use chrome cages. Even though the white is more intimidating (coming from a former forward who drew a lot of penalty shots), to me it doesn’t help my concentration. Chrome keeps me relaxed, though.
    When I got the cage, my brother said since he refused to give me a decent Christmas present, he got me the cage. What he refused to tell me was how much it was or where he got it. But I still love it.