AHL Goalie Update
- Abbotsford Heat’s Leland Irving, who blossomed last season, is looking forward to playing in a Canadian market for the first time in his pro career. (Calgary Sun)
- Meanwhile, Irving’s likely backup Matt Keetley spent last season learning to pick himself up from a tough start to his pro career. ( )
- Nevertheless, Coach Jim Playfair thinks the two goalies will be competing hard for the #1 spot and both will benefit from the competition. (Abbotsford Times)
- Quirky rookie Dustin Tokarski will earn his stripes for the Tampa Bay Lightning while playing for the Norfolk Admirals this season. ( )
Dustin Tokarski – Photo by Jennifer Hammer
- Brad Thiessen went from the classroom to holding the Stanley Cup this summer (Pittsburgh Post Gazette) and blogs about his summer training in preparation for his first pro season (In the Crease with Thiess).
As expected, the Leafs traded Justin Pogge from the Toronto pressure cooker to Anaheim, and signed Joey MacDonald as the organization’s #3 goalie in his place. (Toronto Star)
- Here’s an excellent blog/article wrap-up with all kinds of news and opinion by Pension Plan Puppets.
- The MetroNews.ca gets MacDonald’s take on signing with Toronto. gets Pogge’s reaction to the trade, which is kind of a mixed bag of feelings, understandably. And
- From the blogs, View From My Seats thinks Jean-Sebastien Giguere is on the trading block as a result of the move and the Press-Enterprise sports blog reminds us that Anaheim doesn’t have a farm team this season. Most of their AHL prospects will play in San Antonio, but it’s unlikely Phoenix will give up a goalie roster spot to a division opponent’s goalie prospect, so it’s still unknown where Pogge will play this season.
- For the official line, Inside the Bird has the transcript of the press call about the trade from Anaheim’s VP of Hockey Ops David McNab.
- UPDATE: Because the Islanders only had 5 goalies on their roster (including oft-injured Rick DiPietro), they signed Nathan Lawson Wednesday as well. (Soundin’ Off) What are they going to do with all these goalies?
- Philadelphia signed Nicola Riopel and assigned him to Adirondack, where Johan Backlund is expected to start. (CSNPhilly.com)
- Pittsburgh re-signed Adam Berkhoel (Let’s Go DU) and John Curry (Pittsburgh Live) to one and two year contracts respectively. and
- Phoenix re-signed JoshTordjman, who is slated to play in San Antonio ( )
- Columbus re-signed Dan LaCosta to play in Syracuse (Blue Jackets)
- Buffalo signed ECHL star Jean-Philippe Lamoureux to play for their Portland Pirates farm team ( )
- The Hershey Bears signed Jason Bacashihua to a one year contract. (Stack the Pads) And, while not a signing, Caps in Pictures has some great shots of Michal Neuvirth, Bacashihua’s likely partner in goal.
- Sharks signed two goalies likely to end up in Worcester with the baby Sharks: Thomas Greiss and Swedish prospect Henrik Karlsson. (San Jose Sharks)