Select Page

AHL Shots on Goal: Monarchs Roll Over Penguins

AHL Shots on Goal: Monarchs Roll Over Penguins

One night after a marathon triple overtime win, the Manchester Monarchs proved they had more than enough gas left in the tank to follow up with a second straight victory, 5-2, over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Thursday night in game 2 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals.

Both netminders, Jean-François Berube for Manchester and Matt Murray for the Penguins looked to be in fine form only hours after the first contest ended. Murray would be the one tested early on as the Monarchs offense was clicking on all cylinders, peppering the Thunder Bay, ON native with 12 shots in the first period. Monarchs forward Brian O’Neil was the only one to find the back of the net with a wrist shot that beat Murray high glove side, giving Manchester a 1-0 lead.

The second period started out much like the first with good goaltending, tight checking and a bit of extra curricular activity going on in the corners. All that changed at 12:28 with the red lamp lighting up four times in just over eight minutes.

WBS capitalized first with a power play goal by Conor Sheary to tie the game 1-1. Before Sheary could be announced as the goal scorer, Manchester had already raced up the ice and retook the lead 2-1 on Justin Auger’s first career playoff goal at 12:38.

The scorekeeper had a mere 14 seconds to compose himself before announcing the next goal, a Dominik Uher offering that beat Berube at the top of the crease.

The Monarchs Jordan Weal finished out the second period scoring with the first of his two goals of the night, a near-impossible angle shot from the bottom of the left circle to give Manchester a 3-2 lead going into the third.

Weal struck again at 5:24 in the final period with his seventh goal of the playoffs, when he cleaned up a rebound from an Colin Miller shot from the blue line to extend the Monarchs lead to 4-2.

Brian O’Neil added an empty-netter to give Manchester a 5-2 win and a 2-0 series lead.

Berube had 20 saves for Manchester while Murray stopped 30 of 34 for WBS.

The series shifts to Wilkes-Barre for the next three games starting Saturday night.







About The Author