CCM Axis – Initial On-ice Impressions
InGoal has been going #AllOut in CCM’s Axis gear for a few weeks now, putting the new line through its paces at all levels from Bantam AAA to Junior A. After seeing it for the first time on a visit to CCM HQ in Montreal last year it has been no less exciting to get the gear on the ice where performance was outstanding and our initial impressions included a few pleasant surprises.
Although a more detailed review will come in the spring closer to the April Axis release date, we wanted to share some of those impressions with you today:
- As expected, rebounds were strong, as pucks were fired easily out of danger spots by both pads and blocker, confirming on the ice what we saw with testing in the CCM R&D lab in Montreal.
- Stiff, responsive core that surprised with smooth integration into and out of the post thanks to a boot break more resembling EFlex4 than the old Premier II.
- Great balance thanks to some changes to the inside edge and calf of the pad that helped with both seal and taking stress off hips and ankles. -Quick to the ice with a strong seal, especially in tight net front scrambles.
- Better integration/feel with the 590 glove than previous Premier 590s we have tested as it seems to fit deeper into the hand for better control.
- Axis Pro stick delivers for those who prefer a strong stiff feel in contrast to the lower flex EFlex stick.
And while beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, we received nothing but strong positive reviews from both those watching games and practice sessions as well as opposing goaltenders and even a “how the F#$% did you get those?” from an admiring official.
There are distinctions in the EFlex and Axis lines made to suit different goaltenders and different performance requirements but the on-ice experience, and yes the fashion, were enough to get one tester to change his new gear plan for this season from EFlex 4 to Axis.
We’ll roll out a few more photos over the coming days and weeks and stay tuned for a more detailed review this Spring.